Derrick Wheeler’s Search Experience
Derrick’s SEO Biography
A veteran search engine optimization specialist with fifteen years organic and paid search marketing experience, Derrick assembled and managed teams that delivered successful search engine marketing services for websites such as Travelocity, Expedia, Brookstone, American Express, Capital One, eBay, Shopzilla, The Los Angeles Times, Kaiser Permanente, Microsoft.com, LensCrafters, and many other businesses of all shapes and sizes.
Currently Derrick is the Senior SEO Architect for Microsoft.com. He enjoys the challenge of working as an in-house SEO specialist, defining and advocating a holistic SEO strategy for all websites on Microsoft.com.
Find Derrick Online
Online Marketing Work History
Microsoft Corp - Bend, OR & Redmond, WA (2007 – Present)
Senior SEO Architect
Developing and driving a holistic, in-house SEO strategy for Microsoft.com websites.
- Successfully driving change in a de-centralized, highly complex organization
- Educating marketers, developers, and copywriters on SEO best practices
- Developing SEO programs for individual websites utilizing varying levels of agency support
- Co-produced a two-day in-house SEO evangelism & training event with over 550 attendees
Acxiom Corp - Bend, OR & Little Rock, AR (2002 – 2007)
Director of Search Engine Marketing
Trained and led small team responsible for all aspects of organic search optimization, XML paid inclusion, and paid search production for a diverse list of clients.
- Defined search engine marketing services including delivery processes and tactics
- Worked closely with programmers on development of new search optimization tools
- Selected for Acxiom?s prestigious Leadership Candidate Program (LCP)
Intrapromote, LLC - Bend, OR & Stow, OH (1999 – 2002)
VP Search Engine Optimization
Defined and delivered all phases of our search engine optimization services for clients. Derrick was the first employee of this highly successful Internet marketing company.
- Driving force behind all search engine optimization projects
- Developed process for sales and delivery of search engine optimization services
- Achieved highest score in the 1st edition of the Marketing Sherpa’s Guide to SEO companies
Outrider North America - Bend, OR (1996 – 1999)
Director of Online Marketing
Created and managed a department responsible the production of all online promotion services
including search engine optimization.
- Developed processes for delivering successful website promotion projects
- Personally managed large projects and high profile accounts
- Created and managed partnerships with over 30 small and medium online marketing companies
Washington State University , Pullman, WA
Edward R. Murrow School of Communication
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Communication